Friday, June 13, 2014

Quotidian happenings

These things happened today:
  • I got called Mrs. Lastname twice by strangers.
  • I ran into an ex-boyfriend.  [Most of the men I know -- including ex-boyfriends -- are really wonderful guys and I am very fond of them.  But there are exceptions every once in a while, and this one is an exception.  Ugh.]
  • I stopped at a local sandwich place for lunch and was asked, "are you two paying together?" I said no -- I had no idea who the guy in line behind me was -- and the cashier said, very loudly, "You're here ALL ALONE?!?" Because no woman could ever walk into a chain sandwich restaurant and say yes, she's dining in.  
  • I was in a 45-minute meeting with one other woman and a man.  The man -- who was not originally supposed to be attending the meeting -- interrupted me and the other woman again and again and again.  I got three uninterrupted comments in.  She got two.  The meeting was supposed to be between the two of us, and we got a total of five sentences.
Not one of these things on its own is a big deal, but the weight of all of it together (especially the meeting!) took a lot out of me today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment! And please be nice. We'd prefer if you'd use your first name, but understand if you'd rather not.